It is the favorite place for all tennis stars, and recently it is the favorite palace of many of India’s cricketers. Wimbledon in London is a place every one must visit at least once in his lifetime, more so if they can afford to visit during the tennis season. The official stadium that hosts the Wimbledon Tennis Championships has several historic dates to itself. Here they are:
1. The championships began in its present form much later, but the ground opened to games in 1877. The establishment celebrated hundred years in 1977.
Virginia Wade winning the Ladies’ Singles Trophy after a historic game in 1977 Wimbledon Tennis Championships.
2. The Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum was set up in 1977 to mark the centenary celebrations and has collectables from the 1877 era.
If you ever visit Wimbledon, do not miss the museum.
3. In 1979, growing rush at the games forced the authorities to increase the height of the Center Court roof by one meter. The number of seats added was 1088 seats.
4. 1984 was the year when Ladies’ Singles Championships completed hundred years in Wimbledon.
Martina Navaratilova won the 1984 grand slam title in the ladies’ singles category.
5. The 100th Championships celebrations happened in 1986. A lot of pomp and fanfare marked the event.
Boris Becker winning the 1986 trophy.
6. 1993 was the hundredth year for the Ladies’ Championships and the singles trophy went to Steffi Graf after her mellifluous performance.
Steffi Graf after her 1993 win.
7. Pete Sampras is the only tennis player in men’s category who held the world no. 1 position for five consecutive years.
Pete Sampras won unendingly for five continuous years.