Born into a middle class business family on 2nd December 1959, Boman Irani’s journey into filmdom has been a slow and very steady one. He joined his family’s bakery business and was running it successfully in Mumbai, when his earlier trysts with acting and the passion that he held for the art got him noticed by Shiamak Davar. He was then introduced to Alyque Padamsee, who trained him in acting and prepared him for life on TV. But Irani was not destined to be only on TV.
His foray into Bollywood through a very insignificant role in Darna Mana Hain in 2002 got him noticed and appreciated for his acting genius. Here is a peek into his highly interesting filmography.
- Darna Mana Hain: A highlight performance by the actor that gave him equal space in the movie in spite of very short screen time.
- DIlwale: He plays King, the half maniac cry-baby villain who only has one goal in life- to dominate by selling drugs.
- Veer Zara: A ruthless father whose pomp and prestige will not bend to understand his daughter’s sighs. Until he realizes that it was late.
- Munnabhai MBBS: The Dean of a medical college who loves his daughter but is rude to everybody else, receives a hard blow to his ego when his daughter turns against him to support the most unworthy student in the college. He played Dr. Asthana perfectly to the tee and excelled in scenes wherever he used the laughter therapy.
- 3 Idiots: VIRUS was hated by all, till he started hating Rancho. The rest they say is his story. But Rancho’s story would be incomplete without VIRUS. Agree?
- Lage Raho Munna Bhai: The Sikh Don who only belives in uprooting peace and peaceful homes for money. A Punjabi land baron with a twist.
- Khosla Ka Ghosla: The badman who torments Khoslaji’s life in the movie, Boman Irani brings the money lender of yesteryears alive on screen yet again.
- Housefull: The “Mummmeeee” yelling elderly son whose happiness is locked in his daughter’s smile only to be paid back with…you decide!
- Ek Main Aur Ekk Tum: The most arrogant and ruthless father of present times.
- Being Cyrus: His first and best performance ever, Being Cyrus was a small budget film that catapulted him to success owing to his magnetic performance.
So there you go with our top ten picks out of Boman Irani’s career. Is there anything you want to add? Tell us!